These follies were constructed in the pleasure gardens of Dunster Castle, Somerset in 1775, at the instigation of Henry Fownes Luttrell, who owned the estate.
The Luttrell family owned Dunster Castle and the estate from 1376 to 1950.
The follies were designed to provide points of interest on a scenic walk through the grounds, with views over the Bristol Channel to the coast of Wales.
The tower is at a high point of the gardens and stands 60 feet high. The gardens contain a variety of trees and plants but sadly these now obscure the views.
Mow Cop Castle, near Biddulph in Staffordshire was erected by Randle Wilbraham in 1754. This folly surmounts a high crag in North Staffordshire. It was built as a summerhouse but designed to look like an old castle.
The location provides great views over Staffordshire and the neighbouring counties of Cheshire and Derbyshire.
An inscription on a stone just below the "Castle" records a meeting near the spot on May 31st 1807 that led to the religious movement known as Primitive Methodism.
Constructed as a memorial to the McCaig family by John McCaig, a local man who made his fortune in banking, this impressive and imposing folly overlooks the busy port of Oban and provides views over the islands of Lismore and Kerrera toward the island of Mull.
John McCaig was born on the island of Lismore, a short ferry ride from Oban. He spent some time away from the area but returned to live in Oban in retirement and provided the design and the funding for the tower.