Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff RailwayThis fantastic cliff railway has operated continuously since 1890. It was constructed to provide a link between Lynmouth at the bottom of the cliff and Lynton at the top, principally to service the increasing tourist trade. The top station at Lynton stands 500 feet above the lower station at Lynmouth, which, with the inclination of the slope, provides a rail length of 862 feet.
Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff RailwayThe railway is powered entirely by water contained in its tanks and balanced so that the heavier railway car at the top pulls up the other car whilst descending. The water is taken from the West Lyn River and returned to it after use, therefore making the railway an extremely "green" form of transport.
Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff RailwayThe Cliff Railway was constructed to link the hilltop village of Lynton and the coastal village of Lynmouth. It was financed by Sir George Newnes, a London publisher, who had a home on Hollerday Hill, overlooking Lynmouth. His company had published the Sherlock Holmes books.
Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff RailwayThe Cliff Railway was designed with tourism in mind and serves the same purpose to this day. The alternative was a very tiring cliff-side walk between the two villages.
Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff RailwaySir George Newnes also promoted the narrow-gauge Lynton and Barnstaple Railway which opened in 1898.
Manx Electric RailwayThe Isle of Man provides a fascinating variety of transport modes. A narrow gauge steam railway, an electric tramway, a mountain tramway and even a horse drawn tram provide a series of transport rides to attract both the tourist and the transport enthusiast.
Laxey, Isle of ManLaxey provides a link between the electric tramway and the Snaefell Mountain Railway
Dent Railway StationAt 1150 feet above sea level Dent, on the Settle to Carlisle line is the highest station on a mainline railway in England.
Aberystwyth Cliff RailwayThe Cliff Railway is a prominent feature of Aberystwyth. It was opened in 1896 to carry tourists to the top of Constitution Hill. Originally operated on a water balance system it has since been converted to electrical operation.